Friday, December 6, 2019

Patty's Cranberries

Even though this is a card and not an envelope, it would be darling on an envelope. Patty has been taking some watercolor classes which is a perfect medium for cranberries. She nailed the color. I saw it in person and it's a really nice watercolor.

This seemed like a good illustration to go along with my holiday tips - from the meal planning and cooking division.

Tip number one - eat dessert first. I enjoy holiday meals and never have room for dessert. I have also spent 4+ years overcoming my sugar addiction and have actually found some decent carb-substitutes for desserts. The family is not always enthusiastic - so on the Wed before T-day, I tried 2 no-carb desserts. I figured if they were awful, I would have time to make one of the old tried and true recipes. The first was a crustless pumpkin pie, AKA custard. It was great. Then I tried some no-carb pecan bars which were pretty good. On Thursday, I started eating desserts - first thing in the morning, knowing that I would not want them after dinner and it was great. I highly recommend it. By the time dinner is ready - you're hungry and have had your fill of sweets.

Tip number two - there is a ten minute window to pull custard out of the oven and stir in the salt and vanilla. What's wrong with me? Those are two essential ingredients. Second part of tip - stop trying to remember anything and return to the method you learned in junior high home ec where everything is measured out before you assemble.

Tip number three - examine vintage roasting pans for very small holes. If your roasting pan allows a slow drip all the while it is in the oven, be sure to have a pizza stone underneath to catch the mess and when you see the mess, figure out what's going on, because the same hole will deposit an even worse mess all over the top of the stove as you make the gravy. Not as bad as Pyrex shrapnel, but not fun to clean up. The oven was still on, so all that turkey glop baked onto the top of the stove. If you have not read about exploding Pyrex, do a word search.

This was the first time in 40 years that I did the whole turkey dinner, all by myself, at my house. I'm thinking that I got off easy with only 3 blips. Now -- the real test. Next year when Mr. Wilson's relatives invite us to T-day -- will Mr. Wilson choose their feast or mine? I can say with all sincerity that I'll be happy with either choice. I'm just happy that I had the opportunity to give it a whirl.






1 comment:

  1. I am so happy to be highlighted in Jean’s holiday tips 2019!

    ReplyDelete