Thursday, December 20, 2018

Comparison of Grace's and Kathy Barker's

Remember this envelope that I posted on Dec 12? GraceH took time to let me know that her envelope was inspired by an envelope on the Graceful Envelope website, done by Kathy Barker. Grace thought that Kathy's was *better.* I disagree.

While Kathy has some nice pointed pen lettering I prefer the two styles of lettering on Grace's. They are both playful. I think it is hard to mix copperplate with chunky styles.

Kathy's weather stamps are lovely - but I think the way Grace arranged her stamps is equally lovely.

I prefer the gold dots to the snowflakes and cloud because of the number of things going on. Of course, design is subjective. I always say that it is more difficult to fill up all the space successfully - and less is more. So - if I were trying to mix 7 stamps, three snowflakes, two font styles and a cloud - I would have a heck of a time. Kathy did a nice job - but, in terms of filling the space - I prefer Grace's.

I hope Kathy isn't a reader - and also annoyed with me for critiquing her envelope. I always hesitate to make any kind of comment that is less than complementary.  Kathy's envelope is lovely - and her snowflakes are stellar. I wanted to point out to Grace that she had made a lot of good decisions during her process.




No comments:

Post a Comment