Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Flowers from Ruth

When Mr. Wilson brought this one in from the mail box he exclaimed, "OK, this is the best one ever."

There have been a couple comments from people about whether or not it is appropriate to send flowery mail to men. I don't remember if they were comments in notes to me or comments left on the blog - but I do know it has come up.
Judging from Mr. Wilson's enthusiastic response, I'd say that guys probably like flowers as much as any other design.

This spectacular envelope was done by Ruth. She took a class and I'd say she gets A+. I love the little buds on the card that was inside.

I'm also curious what these would look like done in rusts and oranges. I'm not asking Ruth to send another one. I know she knows how to send photos - so, if you get a minute to experiment with other colors it would be fun to see.

Now - we need to address the situation with Lauren. Previously, two of her envelopes rated *Best One Ever* remarks from Mr. Wilson. I'm going to split his ratings into *floral* and *non-floral.*  There is just no way that those two can complete.

The design on the inside (left) and back flap design on the right.



On a gut-wrenching note - here is a person who would probably be very happy to get some mail art - flowery or not.

Paul Shaw
785 West End Ave - #16A
New York, NY 10025


Paul Shaw is a very well know calligrapher and type designer. He is recuperating from serious injuries from a random attack on the street. Fellow calligraphers posted his address on FaceBook and suggested sending him some happy mail. 

You may see examples of his work at his website.



Update on FB:
The last I heard from Anna is that he has head lacerations, a broken eye socket and broken bones in both hands. But he is home from the hospital.


1 comment:

  1. To those of you who have never heard of Paul Shaw -- this illustrates how important he is to the calligraphic and type community. His friends started a $5,000 GoFundMe campaign to help pay for medical expenses. He will have to have additional surgery. With in 15 hours, the fund was at $15,000. I still think he'll appreciate mail. Many people will not take the time.

    ReplyDelete