Saturday, September 23, 2017

Bonus Post - Pushing Too Far (Burger)

 On Thursday, I finally got my exchange envelopes in the mail. On Friday this one came back. You can see how I wrote my return address on the back (below) and it indicates that the PO will pick up on traditional lettering before it stops to check the creative lettering. I am now concerned that maybe this style is not good for mail art. Very bad news if a bunch of them come back as I used this style on about 20 envelopes.

I chose this style because after nearly 4 years of sabbatical, I am teaching again and I wanted to introduce it to my new class. This blog originated in 2010 because I wanted a way to stay in touch with people who took classes.

So, lesson learned about pushing the envelope styles of lettering. Don't push this far and for sure, do not make your return address big and bold and legible if the outgoing address is a bit challenging.

The envelope is made out of a place mat from a Steak 'n' Shake - a burger place that is older than McDonalds (1939 vs 1940/1955) I stop there when driving between Des Moines and Chicago because it is one of the better options on Interstate 80. In-N-Out is still my favorite fast burger.

Today's regular post is below - and it is an off topic post.







1 comment:

  1. Love the envelope. I am surprised it was returned as it was postmarked on the front, and I've had much more 'obscurely' addressed envelopes just fine :)

    ReplyDelete