Thursday, December 15, 2022

Nov 2022 from Sharon - commercial artists


I am in awe of the amount of time Sharon spent on this. How much time do we think Sharon devotes to her envelopes? How many other obligations does she have. Sharon, you are not the only one who raises these kinds of questions. I'm inviting you - if you like this idea - to answer those questions - and I can share them in a future post. Feel free to decline. I don't want anyone to feel pressured.

Her card is from Hallmark. When we look at commercial art - we tend to dismiss it a little bit - for being *commercial* and not *handmade* - but, I know for a fact that artwork like this is produced by people who are a lot like us. The only difference is that their desires to make art became a priority - and they did so much of it - they ended up doing it for a living. So they have many hours a day to do what we do - and someone pays them. It's a very nice gig.

I've met a few people who have had gigs with big companies - and they are generally very happy with the work. A couple of them just made cold calls with their portfolios and got hired. So - if you are young - and have a portfolio - go for it. 


 ***

Off-topic add on - a link to an article about the marvelous letters from Father Christmas that J.R.R.Tolkien 
wrote to his kids.

LINK to the article - from the always interesting AtlasObscura.com






3 comments:

  1. Hi Jean, I think I might have laughed out loud when I read your comments. I’ve never tried to quantify the amount of time I spend on mail art. LOL! The short answer is that I spend the time required to bring the idea in my mind’s eye for that month’s exchange to realization considering my present skill level. There’s a long answer to your question about time, obligations, etc. I also have a short-cut that I use that some exchangers might be interested in. And I’m happy to send you an email and if you think it’s of general interest, you can choose to edit, include, or not as you like.

    Thanks, Finn, for your comment!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am interested! And that tree is magnificent in its giving!

    ReplyDelete