Monday, December 26, 2022

2 Leslies + Scrap + Block printing No 1


Leslie has done so many fun envelopes with her coffee stamps. The cup of coffee in the middle of *George* is very clever - and once again - the swoopy g's are lovely.

I have no idea how she did those double stroke letters on my name below. Seems like she would need two different sized broad edge nibs. 



As I recall - I have mentioned that we are going to talk about block printing - during the week between xmas and new years.

I was sifting through my stacks and found this little rough draft (below) - and threw it away - after taking the photo. I still like the sentiment - but my days of doing pretty little sayings are probably over. The only reason I posted it was to announce that I am going to talk about block printing for a few days. Maggie and I had an email conversation about block printing. It is also known as manuscript (as opposed to cursive - and cursive is also know as script). The terms for lettering/writing/penmanship can be confusing - especially the word *printing* - which is why I call it block printing.

The very quickly (carelessly) written saying - was done to figure out the spacing. For me - it is a scrawl - never meant for any eyes - other than my own. I am only posting it because it illustrates that even when I am mindlessly scrawling - I have some *good quirks.* They may not seem *good* to you - but I will be showing what it is about my quirks that I like better than some other quirks. 

These letters are mostly narrower than a square. I do not have any polished exemplars to show *perfect* block printing. I just wrote some things on notebook paper - and will post them tomorrow. The purpose is for you to look at your own block printing and see if you would like to ditch some of your quirks.

This is long enough for today.

 


It really is an appropriate sentiment for penmanship.
It says: 
What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us. Helen Keller

1 comment: