Sunday, September 16, 2018

Quilts to Lynne - Peggy's Quilt Blog

Pretty stamps - and I suppose I should have checked to see if Lynne has any interest in quilts. I do know several quilters who would have loved these stamps.

The colored pencil blending might not be my best blending...but I can't complain about the white space.

If you like quilts - below is a link to my friend Peggy's blog. I first met Peggy in college (1969-1972) and then she was the person who registered kids for art classes when I was forcing each of my kids to take an art class. None of them took more than one. They had other interests. But, my contact in the 90s with Peggy planted the seed for her to call me one day when she needed a substitute teacher in a kids class. She knew I lived one block from the art museum. So, I really owe everything to Peggy. My sanity. My warm and fuzzy relationships with actual people and pen pals. Had I not gotten into teaching I'm pretty sure I would have ended up at a funny farm. Full time mothering without art-ing was not a good fit for me.

Had I not started teaching kids, I would not have moved on to adults and I would have never started this blog. The original thought for the blog was a way to stay in touch with students. The steady stream of thank yous that I get from readers and exchangers is beyond gratifying and uplifting. *Note-to-self: write a proper thank you to the readers.

Peggy retired a few years ago and decided to start making things out of her gi-normous stash of textiles. I suggested that she not allow herself to buy any new fabrics - that she force herself to only work with what is on hand. Once in a while she will buy something and I get a call where I sound like her AA sponsor and she sounds like an addict who has fallen off the wagon. She also consults with me on decisions relating to the overall design.

Her quilts only follow the *rules* of traditional quilting very loosely. She's had two exhibits and both times, the quilts were very well received.

Of course, I'm the one who nudged her into putting them all on a blog. She resisted, at first, but I think she is pleased that she has them all photographed and can share the images with people who are not living in Des Moines.

So - if you are into quilts or art - you might enjoy this surf through a dozen quilts.

Peggy's Quilts

No comments:

Post a Comment