Friday, November 24, 2017

How to Make a Postal Clerk Smile

While drinking my noon cup of coffee, I thought I would schedule a post about a recent visit to the post office. As I stepped up to the counter, the nice lady said, "How may I help you?"
I replied, "I would like to send this priority. There is nothing fragile, liquid, perishable, or potentially hazardous inside. No lithium batteries or perfume."
She smiled and said, "Oh! You know the drill!." She seemed very pleased. I asked her if she got tired of asking the same question all day. She said yes. At that point, she had to point to the little computer thing and say..."It's asking you again."

Anyhow, I thought I would toss out the idea to my readers that maybe you want to memorize the questions so you can make your postal clerks smile. And since every post needs a photo, I Googled *smiling postal worker.* It was pretty exciting to have the very first picture of a clerk at the counter be this one. There were four photos ahead of this one but they were all out-of-doors.

I was so happy to see that this guy is in the Tahoe area, South Lake Tahoe. My son lives in Tahoe City which is the center of the west side of the lake. A while back I posted a photo of a Tahoe area post office that was for sale. Jean's dream: to own her own post office.

http://pushingtheenvelopes.blogspot.com/2015/06/jeans-dream-house.html


Here is an excerpt from a post on one of my other blogs that ties in with this one.

"At the same Brooklyn post office where I saw the boy nearly blinded by the bag, there is, amid the self-inking stamps used to label mail, one that reads “PRETENTIOUSLY HAZARDOUS.” So flawless was this, so in perfect pitch with the light-speed-changing neighborhood in which it sits, that I thought maybe I had dreamed it up. So I returned and there it was again, the accidental poetry of an author within the United States Postal Service, some 625,000 men and women strong..."
quoted from: Ethan Hauser is the author of the novel “The Measures Between Us.”

I might have to make my own rubber stamp that says:
This envelope does not contain anything....etc.
Or maybe I should just write that on an envelope.....

We will return to actual mail tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment