Tuesday, July 28, 2026

June from Patty - butterfly garden

 




Patty emailed to tell me that her June envelope was returned and she thought she knew why and she would put it in another envelope and resend it. When it arrived, I agreed with her guess that the postal workers (or scanners) were not going to try to read the 420. She had made a very minor error and corrected it with layering and I should have photographed it the way it was. Instead, I grabbed my white gel pen and corrected it. I think Patty's correction should have gone through. It's a nice design. Those stamps offered so many options. 

***
My latest rabbit hole has been butterfly gardens. A huge chunk of my front yard needs something. It's been a berm of wood chips for two years. It's time to plan something. I did a test patch of clover since converting lawns to clover seems to be a trend. I was all in on the butterfly garden until I got to the part where including some water was suggested. That's probably more than I can sustain. Or maybe not. Perhaps I need something like that to make myself go outside every morning and get that direct sunlight that is also a trend. 

If any of the exchangers have milkweed in their yard, feel free to send some seeds in your exchange envelope.

Of course, the Dutch clover that I tested is not native to Iowa - but, I'm going to give it a chance to choke out the grass. I love this native clover - but it's not an alternative to a conventional lawn.  Part of me wants to see masses of this. I can buy one ounce of seeds (20,000) for $15.00. I wonder how many plants I would get.





No comments:

Post a Comment