Thursday, May 19, 2022

KristineK - The Frailty Syndrome


 I always recognize Kristine's envelopes without checking the return. They are all different - but there is something about them that makes them recognizable. Each time one arrives I think that it would be fun to attempt my own version of her design. Maybe this time I actually will.

****

I don't want to devolve into too much chatter about aging - but, I know quite a few readers are my age. I figured the younger people would have zero interest in topics on aging. Then I realized, younger people might have some elders - so maybe these elder-care and elder-self-care topics are worthwhile.

I'll be brief - this was a topic that popped up and caught my eye. I've noticed how weak my hands are becoming and was startled to see that that's a sign of frailty. Google led me to this:

In the absence of a gold standard, frailty has been operationally defined by Fried et al. as meeting three out of five phenotypic criteria indicating compromised energetics: low grip strength, low energy, slowed walking speed, low physical activity, and/or unintentional weight loss 

Full report here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3028599/

No comments:

Post a Comment