Sunday, May 22, 2022

From April -- planning for June


 The inside of the card from April said, "Sending you a paper hug." If that line sticks in my head, it would be a good one to add to my mailings. Yes - I am going to do some mailings. I took a break - but I see a window of opportunity - so, I'm going to try. Then, I know I have to take a break in June - because I will be heading in to Chicago for a week and then bringing the grandkids back to Iowa for their 4th summer excursion. I probably bragged about this - but, I need to mention it again - to explain why the pressure is on to prepare a ton of fun stuff for them to do. In December of 2021, when asked which trip that year had been their favorite - they both shouted, "IOWA!!" This was a big deal because they had spent a week in Door County with a boat on a lake (in a house that was much nicer than Nanna's house) as well as a few days at Disneyland and maybe one other place that I can't remember. 

Wish me luck at competing with the 2022 trips - Hawaii and some beach place in Florida. Although, I suspect that the loosening of the mealtime restrictions might make Nanna's house unbeatable. When Ben was 4, and his mom asked him what he was looking forward to most on his upcoming trip to Iowa - he replied, "Getting away from you." No filter on 4 year olds. Plus that was in June of 2020 - so they were just coming off of that first 4 or 5 months of lock down. 

And movies. Nanna allows more movies. I look for odd vintage movies - like Swiss Family Robinson and Pollyanna. They are almost strange in how dated they are.

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate to needing lots of fun plans. We live in an old Queen Ann Victorian house in Wisconsin, near Lake Michigan, and our 3 nephews ages 7, 9, and 13, come up for the whole summer(June 8th until a week before school starts in August). I'm "the fun aunt" so I have a reputation to uphold! They especially like trips to the creeks and rivers to catch crawdads and frogs, and making homemade ice cream. We set up a tent in the backyard so they can "camp" whenever they want.I need to do some envelopes ahead too, because we stay pretty busy. Good luck getting ready !

    ReplyDelete