Thursday, May 5, 2022

B'day from Tom - Tipi - teepee talk

 


I have about 20 birthday envelope to share. This one has tone on tone shimmer ink on the envelope and is just lovely. I also like the little *apology* on the bottom. I've known Tom (through calligraphy) for a couple decades and his work is always gorgeous. He is currently providing many hours of eldercare so - that's why he is writing on a TV tray. 

***

Apologies if I am spending too much time on tipi-teepee talk - but a few years ago, MrWilson put in some tall pampas grass stuff along the driveway. He wanted a *visual screen.* He didn't say why - and the view has not changed in 43 years - so it struck me as an odd request. He found someone to do the digging of the perfectly good day lilies and replaced them with what must be the tallest pampas grass you can get. 

On a gorgeous nearly-spring day, I was looking at the dried fronds and mentioned that they were long enough to build a tipi. Maybe the grandkids would want to build a tipi when they come for their week at Nanna's house. Normally, I get zee-row enthusiasm for any of my building projects. But this time, he offered to cut all the fronds and save them. Wow. I might get to build a tipi. 

So, I did some research (looking for a pattern) and was startled to see how many options there are and how relatively inexpensive they seem to be. Much less than those geodesic domes. And the weirdest thing of all - the site that popped up first is from Germany. What's with that?

Then my memory was jogged. I recalled seeing a documentary about a group of French people who were wildly excited to visit the US and participate in some authentic powwows. As I recall, it was mentioned that there are French groups with a strong interest in Native American culture - who enjoy reenactments. Maybe there are groups all over Europe - not just France - like the way Americans like to dress up like *goths.* What would be the most unlikely culture to reenact? 

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TipiZelte?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=709848704

OK - I promise - no more tipi or dome talk. I did start reading the reviews - and everyone was thrilled with their tipi - except the one guy who was steamed because it came without poles. Ooops - he did not read carefully. None of the tipis come with poles.

1 comment:

  1. love the raised look of this writing, I would love to know how he did it and with what

    ReplyDelete