Friday, February 19, 2021

ChristiP's illumination and bookmark (Eric Carle)


As I recall, this envelope went back to Christi after she mailed it and eventually, it arrived at my house with that really ugly and unnecessary Sharpie zip code. I was horrified when I saw the image on my USPS email alert that sends images of the mail that will be arriving. 

Happily, the beautiful illuminated letters were inserted in to a translucent envelope and the Sharpie did not destroy that portion of the artwork..

Christi also included these cool bookmarks.
I've had a link to Christi's blog for quite a while and I do not recall how I even ran across her blog. Every time I look at her work, I remind myself that someday I am going to do my own version of her red letters. I've dabbled in illumination enough to be mesmerized by those little fine line doodles. 
Do those doodles have a name?

So -- s.o.m.e.d.a.y I will do some faux-Christi lettering.

The lettering on the bookmarks reminds me of Gwen Weaver's Waskally Womans.
I'm not sure that is spelled correctly.
It is supposed to sound like Bugs Bunny saying: Rascally Romans

Christi: Are your serifed romans your own design or did you pick them up at a workshop and make them your own?



Dreamy, eh?

*****
The post about Maurice Sendak led to several really nice comments - including one from Christi. Most of us have very cozy feelings about the books we loved as children. And, Christi shared that Eric Carle is a neighbor. If I show up, and we go for coffee (or tea) in her neighborhood, we might see him. I have not given up on my idea to do a grand tour of the US and visit with my pen pals. Perhaps we could follow him, find his address and send him some mail art. I wonder if he is so well known that the USPS knows where he lives and would deliver something with just his name. (apologies for silliness - strong coffee this morning)

When I was teaching kids at the local art museum, the director of the program came up with the brilliant idea to have the older students make a ton of Eric Carle inspired papers and make their own Eric Carle inspired artwork. They kindly made stacks of extra paper, so that the younger students could also do Eric inspired collages. It was one of my all-time favorite projects. Maybe some day I can do the project with my grandkids. The splattery paint blending should appeal to anyone.


There is a ton of good stuff. Other holidays are included. The link goes to the page with ideas and downloads. There are many other tabs - if you are an Eric Carle fan.






 

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy! I made the blog! So excited. The romans on the bookmarks are mine, simply developed from years of working with type (computer fonts) and drawing letters I like. The illuminated gold letters are traditional, again years of copying medieval manuscripts, to where the ‘doodles’ of the monks have become second nature. ... thanks for the shout out, Jean.

    ReplyDelete