Saturday, October 10, 2026

Sept from Lynne - silver/stainless - part 3

 


Here's a nice rustic envelope to augment my discussion about my *thing* about silver. Maybe someday we can talk about paper and the distinctions between papers. 100% cotton paper is dreamy. Not all 100% cotton papers are the same - but, in general, they are dreamy and it might work to distinguish italics from those other italics by saying it's the difference between 100% cotton paper and wood pulp paper. But - paper is only part of it. The ink or paint - and the tool must be considered. [This is poorly written and misleading - a correction will appear on Oct 25th.]

***

We are still on my *thing* about sterling and stainless. I referenced the privileged people who enjoy the features of sterling silverware and have a staff tending to this luxury. It wouldn't bother me if I knew the staff was also eating on fine china with sterling flatware and had paid vacation, health insurance and a generous pension. Maybe there are places that do offer all those perks. In JeanWorld, we would prefer everyone who contributes to the luxurious lifestyles of people who can afford luxury to enjoy a standard of living that is equitable. 

As someone whose career included a service that was mostly catering to high end weddings and events, I've crossed paths with plenty of vendors who are perfectly happy to work for people who have lots of money and there is no longing to live life on the luxury end of the spectrum. 

I hope I didn't offend anyone with my remarks. It's a complicated issue which we are going to avoid. It's a slippery slope. I didn't choose my chimney when the stork was out making deliveries. It was a little bit unsettling when I discovered that my housemates were not artsy. Eventually, I found my people and it's worked out.

The bottom line for people who provide those luxury services whist living a modest lifestyle - the providers are tapping into skills that money can't buy. They are fulfilled by the making of very cool stuff and they simply need to market those items.

No comments:

Post a Comment