Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Off topic - Scary photos - Bonus post

Just for fun, I am posting scary photos today.

Boo.

My mom is the girl in the middle. It's a 4th of July photo taken in Moulton Montana in 1933.

I do not recall any story about why the kids look so scared.

I was thinking this was the weirdest photo of kids in my house, until I discovered this photo of my brother and me. It's my 4th birthday.



Seriously, if I had time, I would make some actual birthday cards out of this one. Hallmark uses vintage photos on some of their cards. Maybe I should submit it. Although I don't know if they are still doing that.

And note to the BigHelpfulBrother -- you got a lot of milage out of that shirt. Below is a picture taken two years before my 4th birthday and you are wearing the same shirt. I look adorable - not scary at all. Everyone is adorable at 2.

Scary haircuts.

Regular post below - with envelopes.



3 comments:

  1. Jean - I love your photos! Thanks for sharing.
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those poor kids were probably frightened 'cause they knew they'd have to eat those vegetables! Or there'd be no cake. :D

    Aw, you were such a sweet cheeky little thing, weren't you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Limner, you hit the nail on the head. The hardest part of my childhood was fighting the food battle. Depression era moms were vigilant about getting the right kinds of food into the kids. I'll refrain from turning this into a detailed essay and cut to the happy ending - where my mom actually apologized to me about how hard she fought the food battle. Her vegetables of choice were peas and beans - both of which I found revolting. I actually liked broccoli, spinach, Brussels sprouts, and asparagus - but those were only served once in a while after we were older. Needless to say - I never forced vegetable on my kids and all three of them turned into serious foodies.

      Delete