Thursday, October 20, 2016

Cathy's Mess - Blazing Inferno Mess


I need help coming up with the most intensely negative hot mess adjectives for this envelope. It started out with me trying to make my granddaughter's markers work because she was napping and I needed some contact with paper. Every trick I have ever tried was  tried on this envelope and it just kept getting worse. But by the time I had it this far...i just couldn't bring myself to throw it away. So, Cathy will be getting at least one make-up envelope. I have reservations about even putting this on the blog. I'll make it small so that -hopefully- nobody will toss their cookies when it pops up.

 I see this image all the time on Pinterest and it has been repinned nearly 15,000 times. So it beats out any of the envelopes. It first appeared on June 25, 2010. I still never found out whose lettering it is.

***********
May 16, 2019
I think I found out whose lettering this is. I believe it is by Sharon Zeugin. Once I have confirmed this, I will -hopefully- confirm it here.

7 comments:

  1. Not Cathy's mess!! More like a carnival of Cathy!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That hot mess is very attractive..!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ugly ducklings appreciate the kind comments. As the mother of UD envelopes I should be kinder to them. But I hesitate to lie and be in denial about things that are less that lovely. Maybe I should lump them in with the Art Brute movement. If my art history lesson memory is accurate , there was a movement that embraced art that was not trying for "pretty."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooops. Art Brut was originally a term for outsider art. Now the term outsider is getting set aside and something else is the new term. But I cant remember the new term.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As to the caps exemplar, I wonder if it might possibly be the work of Sharon Zeugin. It looks like something she could do, but what really made me think of her is when I saw the name Laura Macchiarini under the M. The only place where I think they would have come into contact was Ghost Ranch. I am using the past tense since Laura, sadly, died a few years ago. Sharon is now in charge of "Literally Letters" at the Ranch. They were gracious enough to do the front and back covers of Jan/Feb. 2002 issue of the Houston Calligraphy Guild newsletter when I was the editor. Both such lovely women that I was honored to spend time with. eliece@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Eliece. I am sure you are right, that it is Sharon Zeugin's. I'll try to find an email address for her and ask her if it is hers. This has been bothering me for quite some time - that I did not know whose work it is.

      Delete
    2. Ooops. I -Jean- just responded on my daughters computer. Forgetting that it would think the comment came from her. That was me talking right above. As moderator I could go in and fix everything. But can't do that til I get home in a couple weeks.

      Delete