Tuesday, September 8, 2026

July from Juliana - Musing about teaching - part 2

 


I wonder where Juliana finds her fonts? I wonder if she knows immediately that she has spotted one that I will love? I love this one. Maybe she designed it herself? I wonder if she reads the blog and will respond. I wonder if she used straight edges and templates. I wonder if I could figure out how to do this. The part that makes it so cool is the *clumping* at the intersections. Clumping isn't the right word. What's the right word? It's more like bleeding. But it only bleeds on one side.

***

I never planned on teaching. I had many teachers that I loved and a few that were not to my liking. I ended up teaching because the museum in my back yard needed a substitute teacher and then the calligraphy teacher *retired* from teaching to home school her kids. I had spent about 3 years taking all the classes that she taught and she had studied with all the rock stars in calligraphy so she was a really good instructor. 

I knew that I was nowhere near her (Cheryl Adams) skill level but I also knew that I brought some skills to the table that were a little different than her offerings. It turned out to be a wonderful era for me and as many teachers say, you learn as much from your students as they learn from you. I feel like I have already written all of this - and maybe I have - but you're going to have to suffer through it. The alternative would be listening to me talk about this:

Or this:




3 comments:

  1. I usually just scour the internet looking for something interesting and that I'm capable of reproducing. I'm glad you like it though! The "clumping" made me think of neurographic art where you just round out all the corners. No templates, but always a ruler to make sure the address stays straight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this font and was lucky enough to get one from you. So perfect!

      Delete
  2. Veronica Koh EischeidSeptember 11, 2026 at 5:37 PM

    That is a really cool font. It looks so modern and I like that it's sans serif. I miss the days of Cheryl Adams teaching classes. That was so fun. I miss the CAGCI days, too. I wish we still had a local calligraphy guild. We got some really great instructors to teach workshops back then.

    ReplyDelete