Tuesday, September 8, 2026

July from Juliana - Musing about teaching - part 2

 


I wonder where Juliana finds her fonts? I wonder if she knows immediately that she has spotted one that I will love? I love this one. Maybe she designed it herself? I wonder if she reads the blog and will respond. I wonder if she used straight edges and templates. I wonder if I could figure out how to do this. The part that makes it so cool is the *clumping* at the intersections. Clumping isn't the right word. What's the right word? It's more like bleeding. But it only bleeds on one side.

***

I never planned on teaching. I had many teachers that I loved and a few that were not to my liking. I ended up teaching because the museum in my back yard needed a substitute teacher and then the calligraphy teacher *retired* from teaching to home school her kids. I had spent about 3 years taking all the classes that she taught and she had studied with all the rock stars in calligraphy so she was really good instructor. 

I knew that I was nowhere near her (Cheryl Adams) skill level but I also knew that I brought some skills to the table that were a little different than her offerings. It turned out to be a wonderful era for me and as many teachers say, you learn as much from your students as they learn from you. I feel like I have already written all of this - and maybe I have - but you're going to have to suffer through it. The alternative would be listening to me talk about this:

Or this:




No comments:

Post a Comment