Wednesday, September 9, 2026

July from Janet - digression: house projects

 


This is pure Janet. She's good at vine-y swirls or swirly vines. I like how hard it is to find a J in the the swirl of vines. There are several options. I wonder if it would work to design a big swirl that was just a layered swirl and use it for any first letter of any first name. Maybe nobody would notice that it was an abstraction. Or maybe I should just layer all the letters. I'd only need to do the letters on the exchange list. A-G-I-J-K-L-M-N-P-S-T are the usual names.

***

I am not writing this because I think it is interesting. I am writing it to explain why my blog posts go through phases of being less than inspired. At least you don't have to listen to me talk about how I broke my hip or have cancer or had a stroke or any of the twenty-two things on my list of things my contemporaries are facing these days.

Instead of me falling apart, my son bought a house that is 104 years old and several things are falling apart. While he is at work, I manage all the coming and going of workmen. I'm there for all the estimating and inspecting. I take my laptop and work on the blog while people are pounding.

We started with adding a bathroom, new HVAC and new siding. Then the dominos started to fall. Rusted out sewer line, a sagging roof pushing one wall out of alinement, roof repair causing cracks in the plaster that are 6-inches wide and run the length of the entire room and halfway down the wall, dangerous knob and tube wiring and significant foundation issues. It's all fixable - but, it takes energy for me to keep track of all the workmen who are coming and going - and getting things done in the right order. 

In many ways, it's better to just deal with everything all at once with an old house. August was super busy - Sept will be quiet so I can go back to attacking weeds. Maybe my Sept envelopes will be gorgeous - fall is such a pretty time of year.




No comments:

Post a Comment