Saturday, May 15, 2021

Janet's HB to me (robin's egg & Tiffany blue)


Another super fun design from Janet



The fine print on the postcard mentions that the guy had just gotten a vaccination and it was *something fierce*

****
So, today, we are going to follow up on those beautiful robin's egg blue eggs that I posted a while back. I was wondering if robin's egg blue was the same as Tiffany blue. Yes, according to several places on the internet, they are the same. There are people who think that Mr Tiffany chose that color because in Victorian times, brides would often give a gift of turquoise to their bridesmaids. Also, a lot of people think it is green. The blue/green colors are often at the center of debate.

Then I wondered - why would robin's eggs be blue? Why are bird's eggs different colors? What's wrong with white? I found this:
The blue colour in robin eggs is due to biliverdin, a pigment deposited on the eggshell when the female lays the eggs. There is some evidence that higher biliverdin levels indicate a healthier female and brighter blue eggsEggs laid by a healthier female seemed to encourage males to take more interest in their young.

There is a lot more about the health of birds and the colors of their eggs. I will not offer any link. There are endless places to go. All you have to do is ask Google a question. One time, I asked a question that they did not have an answer for - and it annoys the heck out of me that I can't remember the question. I think I wrote about it in a blog post. <sigh> As if I have time to slog through my own drivel to find -- what? -- the absence of an answer. 

Is it obvious that it I am taking a moment to be lazy in the middle of the afternoon?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment