Sunday, May 16, 2021

From Chuck (stoic message)


Chuck did some nightly fine flowers in April? Another envelope without a cancel.

***
Pre-add-on: I added the comments below at least a week ago. In the mean time, I've been seeing articles about how stoicism is the latest *fad.* Like yoga and meditation. I don't like to be one more avenue for the fad-du-jour. On the other hand - I don't like to dismiss ideas just because they are riding a wave of popularity. So - I might add more stoic suggestions from time to time.

***

As I wait (endlessly) to be more inspired in my blurb writing -and/or- get back in the groove on making envelopes, I will steal a message from the Daily Stoic. I'm pretty sure that I have mentioned the Daily Stoic previously. I skim through the daily message and at least once a week there is something to send to my son, the postal worker who minored in philosophy in college and who says he appreciates the reminders. And at least once a week there is something that is perfect for me. This one is perfect for me. It is giving me permission to put off my chores.

All of us are busy. Work. Working out. Kids. Errands. Whoever you are, whatever you do, chances are you have a pretty full bill. That’s just how life goes. We accumulate responsibilities and obligations. 

It was true in the ancient world too. Seneca talked about our tendency to pack our lives so full of things that there was barely time for any sort of reflection or study. This was precisely the wrong prioritization Philosophy should come first, and anything left over could be divvied up to your daily tasks. 

Marcus Aurelius struggled with this too. He had a million things to do. He had an unlimited amount of people vying for his attention. He tried to remind himself that philosophy was actually his real job and everything else was the side hustle. 

So today, take a minute to ask yourself what you are prioritizing. Is philosophy and study and self-improvement coming first? Or does it only get the left overs? Are you dictating time for deep work and reflection? Or does your job and your busy work decide if there is extra time for that? What is your true love? What do you value most?

Philosophy can’t get garbage minutes. 

***OK, I edited it slightly. I don't think they really intend for all of us to become philosophers and do deep work and reflection or work on self-improvement. The part that I emboldened is telling us to be sure to make time for the things we truly love and value. And that might be envelopes. 

Doesn't putting art at the top of your list equate with putting philosophy at the top of your list? They seem like two sides of the same coin.

****

One more thought on the ancient Greeks. Someone told me that they were intent on including athletics and art in their basic skills. I need to research that. Or, if anyone who reads and comments can confirm, please do. I have always felt that people who are obsessed with physical activities exhibit the same characteristics as artists who are obsessed with making stuff.

I will refrain from my rant about how public education considers athletics and all the arts as non-essential. The rant in my head usually ends with me plotting a very grand and impossible *offing* of the public school system. <sigh> Sorry this is so long.






 

1 comment:

  1. Love his lettering! I've been trying to mimic that style lately. Very Fun, Chuck!

    ReplyDelete