Wednesday, June 12, 2019

MarPTEX - The Last Quilts

Might be the last quilts. There might be two left to use on a US address.

When I was at the vintage stamp store looking for a second sheet of the illustrator stamps, there were probably a dozen sheets of these quilts. It was sooooo tempting to get more. Luckily, it was fresh in my mind that I really had not done a very good job with my last sheet.

There was also a sheet of the Hanukkah candles that look great on birthday envelopes. I was so tempted. The BHB actually encouraged me to buy them. I had to snap at him that he is supposed to be supporting my rehab.

The guy running the shop looked at us like we were nuts and even made fun of me, out loud, for thinking a $6.80 purchase was out of line. He normally only works in the coin section of the shop and has very little interest in stamps. I like those stores where it is very clear that collecting things is akin to being addicted to drugs. But we agree to joke about it. I asked what the most expensive coin was that he had ever sold. A Morgan dollar - $45,000. That's why he laughs at a $6 purchase.

THEN -- (dramatic music - dunt-dunt-dunt)  we started talking about the option to buy stamps at LESS THAN FACE VALUE. Yup, the owner of the shop (who was not there that day) sells bags of stamps that are worth $100 but he only charges --- $85 or maybe it was a different number. Way back when I did buy a bag of them but I had to take whatever he put in the bag. It never occured to me to ask him if I could participate in the selection of the stamps. I'm pretty sure I can restrain myself from even asking --- but maybe not.

I'll keep all y'all posted.

2 comments:

  1. I'm gonna make you jealous, maybe...but the stamp broker I visit puts all the "junk" stamps (the ones his collectors won't want) in a plastic bin, and when I come he just hands me the bin and lets me look them over...and he has regular 25% off days. So I can pick the stamps I want, and he charges me 75% of the face value.

    I haven't visited in a while. I should stop in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will make several readers jealous. I keep forgetting to stop in. The part of me that is tortured by vintage stamps keeps reminding my calm and reasonable side to just swear off them for good. AA for envelope people.

      Delete