Friday, June 28, 2024

May to Linda and Mary - Everything I've ever done (Part 1)

 


Linda's is just like Mia's which has already been posted. I did the same thing for the two international envelopes in May. Here is another May envelope. I'm going with alphabetical order this time as it's my last ditch effort to not get confused about what has or has not been posted.


Sadly, I am still working out fun ways to work with these stamps. I needed to do two ice cream cones for the M and the party hat for the A. The R could have been a very clever feather or Band-Aid -- and what the heck is a Band-Aid doing on a party stamp? 

***

This is the start of a topic that grew out of a conversation with Karl. We have corresponded for a while and it started as long distance tutoring because he wanted to learn Spencerian. His progress has been remarkable. I'll link to his IG so you can see examples - and if you have time to surf, you will notice that he is very talented beyond penmanship. His stitching/sewing is superb. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/C7pUThJyRl5/  this link is stitching

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cqd65GRv41L/. this link is penmanship

IMHO there is a lot of crossover between penmanship and stitching - fine motor skills and consistency in repetitive motions. 

Our conversation about which of the needle arts we've each done made me ponder how many different *maker* things I have actually done. My list is neither here nor there for readers - I am only sharing it because it might be fun for others to reflect on how many things they have tried over the years. 

I'll break it into categories - first one will be the traditional arts - starting with learning to hold a pencil and ending up with a degree in fine art and a major in painting.

***

1
Crayon coloring and colored pencils and regular drawing pencils - life long mediums

Pastels and chalk - can't stand them - dislike dust - (see ceramics)
2
Painting - Watercolor (ho hum) - acrylic (BFA major) - gouache - my favorite paint medium, discovered through calligraphy in my 40s

I lumped a variety of things into drawing and painting 

3
Printmaking - LOVED it - but started late (in 50s) and it was too hard on my hands. We could do an entire post on all the different types of printmaking from rubber stamping to copperplate etching - but we won't.
4
Jewelry - did not like it at all - metal fights back - was better at casting because you form the piece out of wax - had a few decent pieces. Attempts at jewelry confirmed of my lack of skill with 3D - I'm very 2D
5
Photography - took a few classes in college - learned the old school way of developing and printing - enjoyed photography - and have a few *great* shots - but once things went digital - I knew I wasn't a candidate for sitting at a computer learning all the fantastic options -- I'm too much of a minimalist -- Photoshop was/is overwhelming. Had wonderful experiences working with professional photographers during my graphic designer years.
6
Bookbinding - one of my all time favorite journeys. Another one that I came to late - but sure enjoyed it. It's hard on the hands - so I retired after a few years.
7
Ceramics - it seems like I might have mentioned this. A friend of mine had graduated with a degree in ceramics and signed a lease on a space for a studio and retail shop to produce hand thrown pots. Another recent grad signed the lease as well, but he got cold feet and wanted out. I convinced my friend that she could do it on her own and I would help her. Well, she must have been really naive because I had zero experience in ceramics - and thinking that I would be enough help was a very risky move.

I figured I could do all the parts that did not require skill. Like pugging the clay. You buy clay in powder form, add water, and *stir it up* in a pug mill. Dirty, hard work - but I could do it. We also discovered that I could churn out all kinds of pointed brush designs on the pots. Then, I would head out to art fairs with her. I was 20-something - so had plenty of energy - and could lug those crates of pots from the VW van to the art fair booth. I sure wish I had some photos from those days.

There is a longer story - that ended up with a guy who had a lot of pottery experience hanging around - and I made a graceful exit. My friend ended up with a husband. They recently retired - after churning out ceramics for almost 50 years.

Bottom line - I would have enjoyed a full time job doing the glazed designs on pots - but, Oh.My.Gosh. the rest of the steps are not my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment