Thursday, December 2, 2021

Mike Gold. (Lemon Pie Saga - 2nd try)


Here is another idea from Mike Gold. I wonder what is under the purple flower. There is a bit of a word along the edge, but, I can't figure out what it would be. There is not enough room for it to be congratulations. I love this style and if I have not tried it out yet, this is a reminder to myself to try it. 

***
So, long story short, someone was in town on a challenging mission and I knew she liked Lemon Meringue Pie -- so I figured I would try again. I was vigilant about getting all the ingredients together. I even took photos of the crust station, the filling station, and the meringue station. It went beautifully - in terms of remembering all the ingredients.

What could possible go wrong?
It isn't exactly wrong - it was just an example of my pitiful memory.
When I had that earlier pie problem, I had intended to make two pies that day and I had the sugar, flour, cornstarch all mixed together for a second pie. When I saw that it was going to be too hard to make two, I put those ingredients in a Glad container and told myself to be sure to label the container so that I would remember what was in it.

I did not remember that I already had the dry ingredients from the previous pie experience -- until I was done with the baking and cleaning up the kitchen. Grrrrr. Now I have a container that is *probably* the right stuff to make another pie -- but I forgot to label it -- so I guess I can just add the water and stir it on the stove and see if it turns in to something that looks like pie filling -- before I add the eggs and lemon. Grrrr. I honestly think that my memory is getting worse.

Here are my photos.



Well that's an unattractive photo.
The meringue station photo is really bad, too, so I ditched it.


The crust station.

Here is what I tried because I didn't want to send a full pie to the person who needed the pie. 
So, I used a smaller serving dish and two little pyrex dishes. I didn't even bother to make the crust fit. I figured the meringue would cover the edges.
See that egg wash? I've started pulling the crust after 5 minutes and brushing on an egg wash. It does a beautiful job of keeping the crust from getting soggy.
And that lonely egg yolk? I add a fourth egg white to the meringue so there's lots.
And then stir the yolk into the egg wash and add one more egg - and that's breakfast. I do not normally bake at the crack of dawn, but it worked out really well.



Still not blue-ribbon-worthy -- but they tasted just fine.
I'll try to keep the focus of posts to envelopes.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment