Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Dec 2020 from Hester - Gemma Black

If you checked the blog early yesterday - I had a link to the USPS Operation Santa - where they have been collecting letters to Santa - written by kids - and if people want to *adopt* a letter - and send something, they may do so. I saw an article about the program last year after it was over - and some of the letters were charming. This year --- they were not charming - so I deleted the link. 


A happy pair of birds and a mid-century tree - on kraft paper. While I like mid-century design, I wasn't as crazy about the mid-century elf stamps that came out this year. I'm guessing that other exchangers will be inspired and they will create some really nice envelopes. 

***

The calligraphers who read the blog will probably recognize the name Gemma Black. I was surfing in a different direction - but ran across her blog - and saw that she is going through a rough patch - rotator cuff - and general weariness with her teaching and artwork. The latest post is sounding more hopeful.



A detail from one of her traditional pieces


...and something more contemporary - I had a heck of a time choosing just one image off IG - and chose this one because if we can't contain ourselves and we need to copy those flowers - we can do it without feeling guilty - because they are so close to Mary Engelbreit's and William Morris's (or that other artist whose work is so similar - and even Frank Lloyd Wright has some flowers that look like a bit like that. His are more squared off.







I took time to find all four of the 2020 stamps - just for fun - I shoulda bought more of them. 



1 comment:

  1. Those words will probably be may famous last ones..."should have bought more of them".

    ReplyDelete