Thursday, March 24, 2022

Copic WIDE to Debbie - Anthropomorphizing brush markers

 


I was not going to even post this one - but Debbie actually emailed to tell me she had already appropriated an idea that I had sent in the Feb exchange and ask what kind of marker this is. It is a Copic WIDE marker. I LOVE it - although I thought this was a dud - and was not going to post it. 

I added copper lettering over the top and I think the effect complemented the stamp. I'm guessing I sent another envelope with faux-postage - probably something with the MoreThanMeetsTheEye - Maze stamp. I can't make out all of what I wrote on top of the black - it starts out - "some gold or copper on this would maybe improve it but I'm not sure it is going to.... " Whatever it says after that is just the usual drivel.

***

Did I sound like a lunatic when I wrote this on March 19th?

THE SECRET TO BRUSH MARKERS:
Try different styles. You never know which style will work with which marker. You just have to keep trying until you find something you like -- and then be prepared for getting 2 or 3 envelopes done before the tip goes mushy on you. Sometimes you can get 20-30. But it is highly unpredictable. Don't get mad at your markers. They have feelings and they are very sneaky. They will find out a way to get revenge if you think mean thoughts about them.

***

It does seem to anthropomorphize brush markers. Technically, they do not specifically do things. But, when you have bad thoughts while you are writing, the bad thoughts ooze through your hand into the tool and make the writing less-than-what-you-were-hoping for. 

If you are addressing an envelope to Debra and you think to yourself, "My D's are always terrible," then you are guaranteeing that you make a terrible D. Or if you are thinking something bad about brush markers - you will make some bad marks. It is rare to create work where you are shocked at how it is better than anything you have ever done. 

I was thinking I had this rant organized - but it has gotten away from me. Maybe we'll circle back on this topic someday.

***
Here is what Debbie's looked like before I added the second layer. Maybe it was better before I added the copper? I do not like the heavier D. I would have liked the name to fill the width and have the stamp be the dot on the i.



2 comments:

  1. I agree about adding the copper lettering -- adds so much! Looks so cool. (What does it say?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it starts out - "some gold or copper on this would maybe improve it but I'm not sure it is going to.... " Whatever it says after that is just idle chit chat about trying to fix things

      Delete