Thursday, January 19, 2023

Oct 2022 from Susan - MCEscher

Sorry this is late - again -- same excuse as usual.

Apologies to people (Chuck, Sydney, and Mary) who have left comments - that I did not get OKed to appear on the blog. Every once in a while the comment approval emails go into the Spam folder and I forget to check that folder. Chuck knew the clues were for Winona Ryder - but did he know on the first clue? Sydney does not have a name for that cool font. And Mary had lots of nice things to say on a variety of topics.



 Susan has several things going on here that contribute to a charming envelope. The simplicity of the name and address are very nice. The basic black stamp reminds me to stock up on basic black stamps the next time the USPS issues a basic black design. Plopping the pumpkin in the pie shell is so cute. All the detail in the drawing is something else that adds to the charm.

***
How many of us know anything about MC Escher? People from my *era* saw his work everywhere when we were in our teens and 20s - and it's had some real staying power. I started watching the documentary and then flipped over to read the Wiki article about him and it was very interesting.

The documentary had a very early reference to him stating that he was not an artist - he was a mathematician. 



There is no way to find out - but I'd be curious to know if there is a single person reading this who does not recognize his work. Maybe people can't come up with his name - but they recognize the style. And here is another question (I'm guessing Chuck will know) were there any other artists who worked in this style at the same time? 

Gosh, I'm full of questions. I know that those *puzzle* pieces are called tessellation's. But are there tother names for other kinds of puzzle/math/geometric features in his work? 

***
Don't miss the valuable information that Mary has left in the comment below. Thanks, Mary. I appreciate readers who do the research before 9am CST - so that I can provide these prompt updates.



2 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of M.C. Escher and have several of his works hanging on my wall. I know that his tesselations were inspired by the Penrose triangle, and some of his art was inspired by Turkish architecture that he saw while there with his father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a link to other artists who use tesselation, but didn't check their time periods.
    https://tessellations.ca/2017/02/24/tessellation-artists-around-the-globe/

    ReplyDelete