Monday, April 19, 2010

wedding envelopes


this is a sample that shows the *problem* with people who want to update the mr and mrs format. they think that mr and mrs john smith does not give equal attention to the wife. but, they still want the formality of mr and mrs. rumor has it that it was martha stewart who first suggested this format. it worked out fine on this envelope because it is very wide. some calligraphers really object to trying to fit so many names on one line. i do not care for the format, but, i'll do it without complaining. the only thing i refuse to do is mr and mrs john and mary smith. that has *and* twice. if they want mr and mrs as well as both first names, i insist they convert it to mr john and mrs mary smith and i reserve the right to use & whenever necessary.

3 comments:

  1. I was so happy when my daughter decided to opt out of the Mr. and Mrs. So-and-So format and just have me address by first names. 58 done; 46 to go, and absolutely no worries about titles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah...with there be a celebration when they are all done?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll feel less concerned about scribbling and throwing paint. I have to be so careful with all the wedding stuff sitting around. There will be at least one celebratory envelope - maybe I'll do a series and send to every mail art person I can think of!!

    ReplyDelete